Saturday, April 21, 2012

Product Review 2.0


Ok so here is a summary of what did and did not work for me.

Bottles and Accessories: The Dr. Brown's were really great till about 3 months when the gas was a major problem. However after that all the little pieces were a pain so I got rid of them and went with the Nuk bottles. They worked, they weren't that expensive but she has also used the First Essentials $1 bottles in a pinch with no problems. I am not sure they come with travel caps so I would check into that but expensive bottles aren't really necessary if you have a kid who likes to eat. If you don't breast feed your baby and you never give your baby a heated bottle she will never know the difference. I wouldn't bother with a bottle warmer. If you want one though get one with a water reserve. Avant and Dr. Brown's both make them. I liked the Playtex Drop-Ins for travel but generally speaking they irritate me so now that she doesn't eat as much I get the pre-made disposable ones when we travel. Use Target formula they have many options and it doesn't foam the way Wal-Mart and Costco's does. Get a formula pitcher.

Infant Accessories: Bumbo, Boppy, and Bouncy Seats (not to be confused with Jumperoos) are a necessity. Find a tot swap or a Once Upon a Child and buy them used.
This is the bouncy seat she liked best and was the only thing she would sleep in until she moved to her crib, forget the bassinet! The swing was only useful for like 3 months so if you can borrow one or buy one used go for it. Otherwise forget it.

High Chair: If I had to do it over again I would use the Bumbo with a tray until she was big enough for a booster seat like this one she has at my mom's. If you have chubby baby she might grow out of the Bumbo before she can really sit up. If you really want to get one go with the Graco, you don't ever really have to remove the tray all the way and you don't need to strap the baby into that one.

Baby Gates: I am doing this one now becuase Scarlett is half way up the stairs and crying becuase she can't get down. I believe in tough love even at 9 months. I never put the gates up. She doesn't go anywhere near the downstairs but she can go up. We have soft carpet and she has never fallen more then a few steps, she is figuring out how to get back down. We have the Safety 1st ones that we put up when I have other kids over. I like them.

Car Seat and Stroller: Ok the Chicco is super easy to use and safe but it is so HEAVY. If I had it to do over again I would still go with the Chicco Car seat but I would get a used Snap and Go stroller base, it won't fit perfectly but it is good enough. Then I would buy this Chicco when she is big enough. I bought this last month becuase the Cortina was so heavy. My mother has one too. Target has a cheaper Umbrella stroller that is pretty good but it won't last you the baby's life. I like the Liteway becuase it lies all the way down into a bed. She will sleep in it anywhere. The Baby Trend and new Graco are good options for travel systems if you are a jogger. Scarlett grew out of her infant car seat 4 months too early we switched to the Safety First Alpha Omega Elite. She loves it but you will need a towel rolled up under it while it is rear facing. You must get the Sassy brand Car Seat toys, the Infantino ones don't fit.

Carriers: I hated the Moby Wrap, waaaay too hot in the summer. Slings are great when they are little but long run Bjorn is the way to go.

Pack and Play: It doesn't matter...my whole thing about a fold over changing table isn't really relevant becuase you can keep it up for like 3 months and after that it you aren't changing as many diapers and they aren't as messy.

Toys: Scarlett has both a Jumperoo and an Exersaucer she likes them both. She loved the Rainforest play mat. These were must have crib toys the sea horse and the rainforest soother. She has two of these airplane scooters both bought used...she adores them. It serves as a walker too. Her Favorite toy is the Fisher Price Zoo. It is soooo irritating but she loves it. She also loves the Fisher Price Easel, the Fisher Price Stage, and the Fisher Price Dinosaur. (Those are each different links.)

Feeding: I like the Munchkin Spoons best, but I almost always give her baby food pouches. The Snack Catcher and reusable snack bags are great too. The mesh bags were great when she was first learning to eat and filled with frozen fruit make a great teether. The Nuk Learner Cup has served us well but only use the clear nipples.

Bath and Body: I like Pampers diapers and Huggies wipes But LUVs aren't bad either. You have to have the Little Noses booger sucker and their nail clipper is the best too. My verdict on Gas Drops is a big thumbs up. Butt Paste works well but if you don't use a wipe every time she pees you will really reduce diaper rash. Get a slanted infant bath tub and either an inflatable tub or use a rubber made storage bin filled with water after they are too big for the baby tub but too small for the big tub. I also like this sponge for the infant tub. The Munchkin Bath Ball is the best bath toy. Get  thermometer that lights up at the right temp. We have this one. You don't need the knee saver sit on your butt. Target's baby washcloths are the best. But the cheaper ones you can get anywhere are great in the beginning when baby is super icky. I would not buy the hooded towels Scarlett is too big for them at 8 months get real towels. Get the Arm and Hammer baby poop bags for when you travel. No friend without kids wants a poopy diaper in their trash but these bags completely remove the odor. I like the Diaper Genie Elite keep it in the bathroom. pacifier wipes are awesome in the beginning when you are still concerned about germs.

Stuff I never needed or used: 4oz bottles last for two months, waste of money. Crib mobile, they don't fit modern cribs but they still sell them with the bedding sets. The more expensive softer Boppy cover, she didn't care. I got the Gerber onsies extenders but they didn't fit one single onsie I have even though they come in three sizes. Don't buy lots of pacifiers! They will give you one in the hospital and  if she won't use it she probably will never use one. I know several babies who didn't use the Soothie they give you at the hospital but will use the Nuk one. But most babies if they use a pacifier they will only ever like the Soothie. Footie PJs with buttons, so irritating in the middle of the night...get zippers or sacks, love the sacks. Breathable Bumpers are just not necessary. By the time a baby can roll all the way over to the edge of the crib she is old enough not to suffocate herself. Shopping cart/ high chair cover, good lord is it hard to work...and with a squiggling baby forget it just not worth it. They sell protectors for the seats in your car from the car seat and crumbs however the fire department will tell you not to use it becuase it makes the car seat less safe. That is not advertised on the package.

Scarlett says I am done now...tata.

Post Script:  As per a request made of me here are some updates. I would buy everything used except a car seat a crib, and a baby monitor. Go ahead and splurge on a monitor that has video. I didn't want one becuase I was afraid I would check it all the time but my father got a web cam for her room so they could creepily look in on her at night. I find it very handy to log on to it with my phone and check and see if she is still sleeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment